'The Art of Fashion Photography: A History of Style in a Snapshot'
Part 1 Wednesday, February 9th 1pm EST
Part 2 Wednesday, February 16th 1pm EST
Did you know that the first photographic fashion layout in a magazine was instigated because of a dare? Fashion photography has come a long way since its introduction at the turn of the 20th century, but only thanks to a cadre of incredible photographers throughout the generations who've pushed the limits of technical capabilities and creativity. From mastering the staged photoshoot to capturing fashion "in the wild" on crowded city streets, it's time to explore the world of fashion photography starting from its humble beginnings.
Join me along with my wonderful host, The New York Adventure Club for this exciting webinar. We explore the evolution of fashion photography from the 1850s through the early 2000s, through the lens of some of the industry's most legendary and trendsetting photographers.
A few of the highlights are:
- The early evolution of photography in fashion, with a focus on the beautiful editorial photography shot by the industry's best photographers
- A look at retouching techniques in the early days of photography, well before the advent of air brushing and photoshop
- The impact and contributions of some of the world's greatest fashion photographers between the 1920s and early 2000s, including Cecil Beaton, Richard Avedon, Irving Penn, Edward Steichen and more
- An analysis of what makes a good photograph
- The progression of fashion photography in the face of changing trends, societal norms, and commercialism
- Peek behind the curtain to see what it really takes to produce a fashion shoot, then and now
PART 2. TBD
In Part II, we'll explore the evolution of fashion photography between the late 20th century to present day, through the lens of DSLR cameras and photo software that allowed fashion photographers to achieve new creative heights.
- A deep dive into the transition of film photography to the digital age, thanks to a suite of revolutionary new tools
- The impact and contributions of some of the world's greatest fashion photographers in the digital era, including Annie Leibowitz, Stephen Maisel, Patrick Demarchelier, David LaChapelle, Bill Cunningham, and more
- A look at the era of glamorous mega shoots and productions
- A discussion of internal rifts within the fashion photography community, from the heavy use of photoshop programs to overall lack of diversity in models
- Peek behind the curtain to see what it takes to set up a fashion shoot for Vogue
- The great disruptors — a debate on the effect smart phones and social media has had on the photography industry
Can't make it live? Don't worry, you'll have access to the full replay for one week.
See you there, virtually!